Thursday, October 15, 2009

What do you call serious rocks?

I can be very certain that its October now, because I've been seeing Halloween costume ads all over the internet/in the papers. I always like looking through them because, well, I just like looking and every year I'm always slightly confused by the womens costumes vs. the men's.

For example:



These are both referee costumes. Now, in real life, a male referee and a female referee would be wearing the same uniform. They would both be wearing the realistic and practical version that is worn by the male here. Why is it that most all Halloween costumes for women are just a sluttier version of the real thing? Is Halloween an outlet for women to let their sexual side be seen without the risk of being judged so harshly (because it's just a costume)?

And similarly for men, this seems to be a way for men to dress in a feminine manner (sometimes in full drag) without the fear of being ridiculed. (Example to the left.)

It seems that in our society, the worst thing a woman could be labeled is a slut and the worst a man could be labeled is effeminate. So is Halloween a chance for Americans to embrace their fears? Or rebel against society, in a campy matter, by being exactly what we're told not to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment