When I first saw the title for this video, I was shocked! I was completely outraged that any marketer would have the audacity to play on the public's homophobia to keep teens from smoking!?
After opening the video, however, I realized that it was created by The Onion(an American "news satire"). I was relieved that this wasn't a serious ad, but at the same time, sadly, I feel as though this campaign might be effective in cutting back the number of young boys who smoke in America.
The most offensive thing one boy can do to another boy is emasculate him. In our culture, we seem to think that homosexual men aren't as masculine as heterosexual men. Calling a boy gay is along the same lines as calling him a sissy, or a girl-they all question the boy's masculinity. Like they said in the video, kids don't care about health risks, but they do care about their reputation and being bullied.
No comments:
Post a Comment