These campaign marketers know that sex sells (as do kitschy gimmicks). And while the ads are amusing/clever and attention grabbing (like the ad above), they may be seen as somewhat insensitive to those who have had to lose their breasts in a battle with cancer. The ads are placing the focus on peoples love for large, bouncy boobs. In the ad above, the men and women both stop dead in their tracks to stare at the voluptuous woman walking by in a tiny bikini. The ad may not just be offensive to breast cancer survivors, but to all women, for the objectification of the women(who are just presented as boob holders).
Other campaign ads like the Save The Ta-Tas or The Save Second Base Ad also use provocative tee shirt logos to draw extra attention to the breasts of the woman wearing the tee. The 'Second Base' logo goes a step further.

I think it's great that these campaigns are thinking of new and interesting ways of drawing in viewers attention, and making a positive message into a fun tee shirt(a human billboard), but at the same time I feel that some people may be put off by this mode of advertising. Could the kitschy tees make it seem that the matter of cancer is not taken as seriously as it should be? And is there any equally effective way of raising awareness for women's health without having to objectify them?
I have had a few family members affected with breast cancer, I do see your point in the objectification of women, and however I think that this ad is not just targeting women. Many men want to support women who are fighting breast cancer. The pink ribbon on many people’s cars represents that support. Many men are reluctant to put pink ribbons on their cars, I think that some of this marketing ploy is aimed at making some men more comfortable in displaying their support without feeling as they have to be emasculated in their efforts.
ReplyDelete